Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Busy Bodies


3rd Sunday of Lent

      My older kids and I went to see Black Panther after church last Sunday.  I have to confess: it was one of those movies that I enjoyed so much, I want to make every sermon illustration a Black Panther reference.  I won’t; I know you’re not always into the same things I am.  So I won’t but I will say this: there is a part of the film where the hero is down, and even though you’re not sure how he’s going to do it, the hero stands up.  I don’t think that’s a spoiler.  Every movie with a hero in it since at least the old westerns has had that moment where the hero finally stands up.  Whether it’s Clark Kent loosening his tie so Superman can show up or it’s Rocky Balboa literally getting up so he can heroically get punched in the face some more.  These movies all have that moment where the hero stands up. 
      I wonder if we read this Bible story as a moment like that.  Mild-mannered Jesus—our hero, but usually just keeps his fighting to words—is finally standing up to take care of business.  Finally he is standing up to the hypocrisy of the religious leaders; finally he’s standing up to those who would make a profit off of the needs of the faithful; finally he’s standing up for those on the outside who have no voice of their own. 
      In a way, I think that is exactly what Jesus is doing, especially as the other Gospel writers tell it.  Maybe not so much in Gospel of John.  I mean, first of all: in John, Jesus isn’t “finally” doing anything; this is just chapter two.  But also, in the Gospel of John, this is the thing that sets his crucifixion in motion.  More than standing up to the religious establishment, Jesus seems to be setting himself up to be knocked down; all the way down; down to the Cross; down to the grave.  And here’s a spoiler alert for you: he stands back up. 
      So as I’ve already implied, this story about Jesus causing a ruckus in the Temple is one of those unique stories that is told in all four of our Gospels.  Clearly, this story is important both historically, in the telling of Jesus’ story, but also theologically as we seek to understand what this story tells us about Jesus.  The problem is, as I’ve also implied, that point varies from Gospel to Gospel.  For example, in the Gospel of Mark (where this story is told much later on), Jesus seems to be reacting to price gouging and the exploitation of the gentiles.  But in John, Jesus seems to be protecting the sanctity of the Temple; as though conducting commerce is beneath the dignity of the Temple courts.  Jesus says, “Stop making my Father’s house a marketplace!”
      The great thing about this story is that we can cheer Jesus on in it, right?  I mean, he’s not yelling at us this time, right?  We’re not selling sacrificial livestock in here; we’re not making change in here; we don’t even put up boundaries where some people can go and others can’t, everybody is welcome everywhere.  This story is about someone else, right?  You tell ‘em, Jesus!  Which is not to say that I don’t feel for them; for the religious leaders.  In fact, if I think about it a bit, I have to admit that in a similar situation I might have done the same thing. 
      Notice, John tells us at the start that this happens right before Passover; that’s an important thing to note because that would have made the Temple a very busy place.  This was their big day; as big as Easter is for us, their big day was Passover.  The Temple would be jumping.  The faithful from all over the known world would cram into Jerusalem and make their way to the Temple.  People would be there that you might only see once, maybe twice a year.  I don’t know about you, but I get a little excited on days like that; when this place is packed; I get excited about the prospect of this place being packed.  I say things like, “Park a little farther away so visitors can find a spot.  Maybe sit over here in the annex so visitors can better see what’s going on.” 
      When I take a step back, I understand what they were doing; and I have to say, I can’t say I blame them.  People are coming from all over, they can’t be expected to bring their sacrificial animals all the way from Asia Minor, and Europe, and Africa.  “We can make it as convenient for you as possible: we have sheep, just buy one when you get here.  By the way, your Roman currency with the Emperor’s face on it; that’s idolatrous so you can’t use it in the Temple.  But we’ve got you covered there too!  The money changers over here will take good care of you.  And we won’t talk about sin.  And of course child care is provided.  And, oh look, there’s a Starbucks right here in the Temple.” 
      You can almost hear the Temple leaders admit that they knew they’d gone too far.  After Jesus makes a ruckus, they don’t ask him, “Why did you do that?”  They know.  They ask him, “What sign can you show us for doing this?”  They understand why; they just want to know where he gets the nerve to call them on it. 
      I get it: I get excited too.  The prospect of a growing, vibrant, busy, active church excites me; and I know I’m not the only one.  There were a whole bunch of us here last Saturday.  These are exciting times for us and rightfully so.  The Spirit has filled us with dreams, and energy, and plans and it’s wonderful.  We are going places and we are primed to be a busy church.  This is exciting; this is us striving to be faithful to God’s call.  But I’m a Presbyterian; I’m one of the few Presbyterians in this church, as it turns out.  Our job is to tap the brakes sometimes; that’s what committees are for.  We want to move forward, but we don’t want to spin out of control either.  As a church, we are listening to God’s call, we are moving in exciting directions, and my only caution is: in our excitement, let’s not start anything that would make Jesus chase us around with a whip.  And to help us with this, Jesus gives us an image of what it means to be his church: that we are his Body. 
      They ask Jesus for a sign and, un-surprisingly, he says something surprising: he says, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” As a church that is celebrating its 120th birthday this year, this might rightfully make us nervous; but he’s not talking about the building, is he?  He’s talking about his body, but he’s talking about it in the same way one would speak about the Temple. 
      When I hear Jesus talk like this, the first thing I’m struck by is how
often we do the opposite.  When we speak of the church, our temple, we usually mean the building.  I tell my family that I’m heading off to church and they know what I mean; I mean I’m heading to my office.  They stand at the window and wave, knowing that I can be found somewhere in this building if they need me.  But Jesus means a person: Jesus is our Temple, and his church are the people that make up this Body of Christ. 
      With that in mind, let’s look again at what it is that makes Jesus so fighting mad: what so angers Jesus—angry enough to chase animals and people with a whip—is that they are abusing that Body; their own Body; the Temple of the Lord.  In their excitement, they compromised their spiritual health.  They substituted what was good for them with what was easy.  Rather than seeking what God wanted for them, they settled with what served their needs. 
      Here at this Table, we are shown a better way.  here we are called to be the very Temple of our Lord, the very Body of Christ.  Here we are reminded that this church does not belong to us because this church is made up of the bodies that Christ has redeemed.  Here we are shaped by his example of self-giving love; an example that seeks the good of all, and not just what is easy; an example that seeks not to be served, but to serve; an example of a love that lays down its life for the sake of the world in the hope that the power of God will indeed raise it up again. 
      I was telling my friend Stan the other day that, what excites me the most about the things going on around here, is that it hasn’t been about us.  There may have been a time when our conversations were about membership declines and financial concerns, but somewhere along the line something changed in us.  Lately, as we talk about our church, we talk in terms of being the Body Christ intends for us to be.  We talk about meeting more just our immediate needs, but our community’s desperate need for a Savior.  We look at who we are as a church, and without discouragement or fear, we envision what God might do through us to bring salvation to this world. 
            Let us continue to strive to be the very Body of Christ in this world; and may we keep our Savior’s example of love and sacrifice always before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment